About Legal Field Support Certification
Legal Field Support Certification
NALS offers members and nonmembers the opportunity to sit for three unique certifications dedicated to the legal services profession. The exams are of varying levels and are developed by professionals in the industry. Each of the three certifications is developed by NALS. Please refer to www.nals.org and look under the Certification tab for further information, eligibility requirements, and fees for each of the exams.
The three certifications are as follows:
Accredited Legal Professional (ALP)
– This is NALS’ entry-level examination for those entering the legal support profession. This designation is awarded after passing a four-hour, three-part exam. Attaining this goal demonstrates your commitment and aptitude for succeeding in the ever-changing legal environment.Professional Legal Secretary (PLS) – PLS®
is the designation for lawyer’s assistants who want to be identified as exceptional. Certification is received after passing a one-day, four-part exam which demonstrates not only dedication to professionalism, but acceptance of the challenge to be exceptional.
Professional Paralegal (PP) – The PP®
designation is an attainable goal for paralegals who wish to be identified as exceptional in all areas of law. The certificate is received after passing a one-day, four-part exam.
March – Last Saturday
September – Last Saturday
March – Postmarked by January 1
September – Postmarked by August 1
- NALS of Northeast Ohio conducts study groups in the Medina area to assist you in preparing for the exams.
- NALS website (www.nals.org) will guide you to the required textbooks needed for each exam.
- NALS Online Store (www.nals.org) carries information on mock exams and other materials to help you prepare.
- NALS Online Study Group (www.nals.org) is a series of WebEd sessions with coverage over all parts of the exam, as well as exam specific reviews for the ALP, PLS, and the Professional Paralegal (PP). The series wraps up with a general session over test taking tips.
- NALS Basic or Advanced Legal Training Course – Many states and local chapters sponsor the NALS Legal Training Course. This course emulates a classroom study style in preparing for the exam. Check the NALS Calendar for an upcoming course in your area at www.nals.org.
- Stetson University- NALS Online Basic Legal Training Program – An excellent option for individuals at locations without a local NALS chapter. This course is highly interactive and is taught by practicing lawyers.